The Mark of the Beast
A Popular Subject
The mark of the beast is a popular subject. It's talked about in movies and YouTube videos, and written about in prophecy publications.
Unfortunately, there's a lot of confusion and error regarding this topic, but, happily, the Bible tells us the truth. The Antichrist will soon rule over most of Earth, his goal being a one-world order, religion, a government, a military, and economy, and this mark will be one of the primary means by which he will control it all.
Revelation 13:16-17 tells us: And he [the Antichrist] causes all, the small and the great, the rich and the poor, and the free and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, and he decrees that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.
Here are a number of things you need to know about the mark of the beast:
1. Having the mark of the beast will be the only way a person will be able to openly and publicly buy, sell, and do business when the Antichrist will rule the world (Revelation 13:16-17).
2. This mark could be a stamp, seal, image, microchip, or transponder. It will be specifically related to the name or number (666) of the beast, the Antichrist (Revelation 13:18).
3. People will receive this mark of the beast after the midpoint of Daniel's 70th Week, when this beast, the Antichrist, and a second beast, will be in power (Revelation 13:5, 11).
4. A Christians cannot and will not take the mark of the beast, for they are children of God, and the Holy Spirit will not permit them to take this mark of the devil (Ephesians 1:13-14).
5. Only unbelievers will take the mark of this beast (Revelation 14:9-11).
6. Not all unbelievers will receive the mark of the beast, for some will be saved during what is called the Great Tribulation. There will also be a remnant of Jews who will be saved at the end of Daniel's 70th Week (Matthew 24:9-27; Revelation 12:13-17).
7. People taking the mark of the beast will not make some na√Øve, unintended, or careless decision. Though deceived, these unbelievers will know what they are doing, and will agree with the Antichrist, his beliefs, his rule, and his purpose for the mark (2 Thessalonians 2:10-11).
8. Taking the mark of the beast will be both a financial and spiritual decision. The individual receiving the mark will pledge allegiance to the Antichrist, and will put their faith in this evil and despicable man: They worshiped the beast (Revelation 13:4).
9. Unbelievers taking the mark of the beast will not be able to reverse their decision. Once marked, their future will be set, for they will forever be punished in the lake of fire: If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, he same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God ‚Ä¶ and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb (Revelation 14:9-11).
We are living in the end-times, and when we look at the state of the world, we realize we are rapidly moving toward that time when this mark of the beast will be a reality. For more than a century we have heard that leaders and countries have been pushing for a one-world order and global economy. We see it with the United Nations, the World Bank, the World Trade Organization, and the International Money Fund.
This desire for globalism – that the desires of the world supersede the desires of the nations – is only going to increase in the years ahead. There will be more open borders, less autonomy, and more interdependence with regard to the countries of the world. On the individual level, people will want their bank accounts to be more secure, and their financial transactions to be simpler and safer.
Here's a scenario of what could happen. A sophisticated system will soon be in place for the Antichrist and his associate (the beast out of the earth, Revelation 13:11) to manage this global economy, utilizing the mark of the beast. Governing the whole world, having a universal monetary system, and overseeing billions of financial transactions will require an ingenious and complex technology.
We now live in an electronic-information age with smart phones, supercomputers, massive servers, microchips, the Internet, and the ability to store, process, and transfer enormous amounts of data. We are beginning to see how this mark of the beast will be a key component in tomorrow's world. In fact, it is routine for pets to get implanted microchips, and now it's beginning to happen with people.
In Sweden, many individuals receive surgically inserted microchips for their business dealings and other activities (Washington Post, 4/4/2017). In the near future we will become a cashless and checkless society, our credit and debit cards will be gone, and the technology to implement the mark of the beast will be fully developed and operational.
Now is the time to tell unbelievers the truth about the mark of the beast, and more importantly, about salvation and forgiveness in Jesus Christ.
As for you and your family, know that the Lord will take care of you. Be seeking His kingdom, and be praying, Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread (Matthew 6:10-11). This calls for perseverance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Him (Revelation 14:12).
Steven J. Hogan has been a pastor-teacher for the past 25 years and at Hope Bible Church of Tampa since 2003.